September 27, 2021
SIO President Mohammad Salman who is part of the delegation of Muslim groups met family of slain Moinul Haque
Moinul Haque, the man killed in police firing, is survived by two sons, daughter and aged parents
Zafar Aafaq | Clarion India
NEW DELHI — The Student Islamic Organisation, or SIO, on Monday announced that it will sponsor the entire education of Moinul Haque’s three children. Haque is one of two persons killed by police in Assam’s Darrang district last week. The announcement was made by SIO President Mohammad Salman who is part of the delegation of Muslim groups visiting the violence-hit state.
“We want them to study in the area of their interest,” said Salman who met Haque’s family on Monday.
Slain Haque is survived by two sons, daughter and aged parents. He died after police fired at him while he was running with a stick in his hand during protests against evictions of 800 Muslim families in Sipajhar in Darang district.
A video of police firing at him has gone viral. The video also shows a photographer, hired by the local administration, jumping and stomping on the lifeless body of Haque lying on the ground. The show of brutality has sparked nation-wide outrage with condemnation of the BJP-led state government from all sides.
On Sunday, a delegation of leaders representing Jamaat-e-Islami Hind, Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind and SIO met Assam Chief Minister Hemant Biswa Sarma in Guwahati. The delegation also met Darrang Superintendent of Police Siddhartha Biswa Sarma and Darrang Deputy Commissioner Prabhati Thaosen.
In all the meetings, the delegation demanded action against the police personnel involved in violence on displaced Muslims. They asked for compensation for both the police and civilians killed and injured during violence. It also urged the administration to rehabilitate the people dislodged by the administration.
The CM had assured his help and asked the delegation to visit the displaced families, assess their requirements and tell him what immediate measures he could take. He requested the organisations to start relief work and assured the required support.
Salman said that the delegation met some local lawmakers. He said that one common thing that they noticed during their conversations with officials and others is that the act of the photographer who stomped on Haque’s body has left everyone embarrassed.
“The chief minister also said that the photographer has left us embarrassed and that they quickly took action and ensured enquiry by CID.”
The CM also told them that the government immediately recommended a judicial probe “which would be independent and that the high court would decide the judge”.
According to Salman, the chief minister did not see anything “communal” in the evictions. Salman pointed out that the lands where the evicted families are likely to be rehabilitated are not yet documented and the authorities have told them that documentation would take some time.
“Besides this, people have another concern. They do not want to go there because the lands offered are located in low-lying areas which remain waterlogged for months,” Salman said.
He said that officials were evasive on the question of violence by police. They did not explain much, he added.
“The government wants to make land encroachment as the main issue but we asked the authorities why brutal violence was used against unarmed civilians,” Salman said. “Actions against encroachments happen across the country but nowhere we see police resort to this kind of violence.”
The delegation said that the officials did not give commitment on compensation. “The Deputy Commissioner said his office would recommend but first it has to be probed whether the slain are innocent.”